Thursday, December 15, 2011

Meet the star of Just Henry

Screenterrier reported back in August on the young cast of new ITV drama Just Henry. The family drama will be shown at 7:00pm - 9:00pm on Sunday 18th December on ITV1.

Based on the novel by Michelle Magorian set just after the second World War, the story follows Henry’s struggle to come to terms with the death of his war-hero father, before his father dramatically returns alive and soon reveals himself to be less than worthy of hero status.

Seventeen year old Josh Bolt (represented by Curtis Brown) from Liverpool, leads a prestigious cast in ITV1’s new drama Just Henry.

Josh began his acting career at the age of thirteen when he was cast in a theatre production of, Much Ado about Nothing. In 2009 he starred in the multi award winning feature film The Be All and End All. Shortly after this he performed alongside Aaron Johnson and Kristen Scott Thomas playing Pete Shotton in the BAFTA nominated film Nowhere Boy.

With his first primetime television role about to be screened Josh admits it was never a purposeful decision to become an actor.

“When I was growing up I always wanted to be James Bond, as in a spy for the British Secret Service, not the fictional character. Acting wasn’t something I really thought about until I was thirteen and I got sent to my first audition for a role in Shakespeare’s Much Ado about Nothing at the Liverpool Playhouse. When I got the part I observed and listened to everyone around me. It was only then I thought I could really get into acting and enjoy it. I then got picked up by a Liverpool agency run by Cheryl Parsons who did a drama group on Saturdays and from this I learnt to improvise, think on the spot and analysis situations.

“What motivated me after this was securing the part of Robbie Wallace in the British independent film, The Be All and End All, which was shot in Liverpool. I then started working with Aaron Johnson on Nowhere Boy, the biopic about John Lennon set in the 1950’s.

“Aaron’s 21 and has an impeccable CV. To see someone as young as him make a successful career out of acting motivates you to keep going and be the best you can be. I went through part of 2010 not working and it really opened my eyes and made me realise that not only is this industry tough but that acting was something I really wanted to do.”

Looking to the future, Josh is excited and hopeful about what 2012 will bring for his career. He’ll soon be back on our screens in Paul Abbott’s multi award-winning drama series Shameless.

“I filmed some episodes for series 9 of Shameless prior to Just Henry. The character I play is the polar opposite to Henry Dodge. He’s a bit of a psychopath. To draw some inspiration for the character I watched Brad Pitt’s performance as Floyd in Quentin Tarantino’s True Romance and then Tom Hardy as Bronson. The storyline for my character has been left open so it would be great to go back and be apart of series 10.”

And he is currently filming on the new series of  The Accused alongside Robert Sheehan, Sheridan Smith and John Bishop.

Josh leads a prestigious cast including; Elaine Cassidy, Dean Andrews, Stephen Campbell Moore, Barbara Flynn, and BAFTA nominated actress Sheila Hancock.

Charlie May-Clark (also Curtis Brown) features as Grace, the classmate Henry befriends who helps him in his search for the truth as his world is turned upside-down, while Perry Millward (also Curtis Brown) plays Paul, another boy at Henry’s school whose initial mutual antagonism with Henry eventually gives way to a deeper understanding and sympathy of what each have been through as a result of the actions of Henry’s father.

Just Henry is at 7:00pm - 9:00pm on Sunday 18th December on ITV1.

No comments:

Post a Comment