Monday, August 15, 2011

The Field of Blood

20 year old Scottish actress Jayd Johnson, one of Screenterrier's Faces to Watch 2010, stars alongside David Morrissey, Peter Capaldi, Jonas Armstrong in The Field Of Blood, a dark and uncompromising drama adapted from the best-selling novel by Denise Mina, coming to BBC1 this September.

Written and directed by David Kane, the crime drama is set in 1982 and centres on Jayd's character Paddy Meehan, a young copygirl working in a Glasgow newspaper office. Stuck in an almost exclusively male-dominated world of limited opportunities and cynicism, Paddy dreams of becoming an investigative journalist, believing that in miscarriages of justice, reporters are sometimes the only hope. Paddy seizes an opportunity to kick-start her career and becomes embroiled in a dark murder case. For Paddy, it's the opportunity of a lifetime but it comes at a great personal cost.

Since leaving Scottish soap River City where she had played Nicki Cullen (from 2004 - 2009), Jayd has been living in New York and studying at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. Jayd's career began with the Live & Loud Stage School in Glasgow.

Jayd said about the audition process:

"I was actually studying at drama school in New York when I first heard about it. When I talked to my teachers they didn't want me to take any time away from my studies. I knew I couldn't do it so I asked the casting director not to put me up for it and not to send me anything about it.
But there was something nagging away inside me. I kept thinking: 'I could be doing that now'. Luckily they came back and said they really wanted to see me. I think that was a bit of a sign, this part just wouldn't leave me alone. I found out later that the director, David Kane, had said they should send me the script because he knew once I had read it I would want to audition. He was right. Paddy is a great character and the way she is written is so unusual."

And on working with her fellow actors:

"I'm such a young actress and still learning and developing my craft but this was such a great opportunity to learn from really well-established actors like Peter Capaldi and David Morrissey. I was constantly in awe working with Peter, every take he did was amazing. He is such a generous actor. I learned so much about how detailed an actor he can be. "

First shown in May in Scotland only, the 2x60 minute drama will be shown on BBC1 w/c 27th August, day and time to be confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment