Sunday, October 10, 2010

Skins Season 5 - Meet Sebastian De Souza

Sebastian De Souza, aged 17, from Boxford, near Newbury, was picked from 8,000 hopefuls to join seven other young actors as the third generation of the E4 teen drama Skins , which follows them through two years of sixth form.

Sebastian said: “I feel very honoured to be given the opportunity.”

In July, he began the audition process for the BAFTA award-winning Channel 4 show, after his agent (Waring and McKenna) put him forward for the role. Filming is now nearing completion and and the eight-episode series is due to start on E4 in January.

He said: “My character was cast a week after everybody else. At the final audition, there are only usually about two people but there were five at mine.

“Because Skins is such a raw and realistic representation of being a teenager they expect you to come along and sort of be yourself.

“They cast you on who you are as a person. I’m not very similar to my character but I think there are qualities in me that I share with the character.”

Sebastian’s father, Chris De Souza, is a broadcaster and composer which meant he grew up with the arts and discovered his love of theatre at a young age. 

At 13, Sebastian won a music award to St Edward’s School, Oxford in 2006 as a pianist, clarinetist and singer where he has also taken lead roles in productions of A Midsummer Night’s Dream playing Puck, Great Expectations as Pip, Good as Maurice and Henry V as Henry. He also joined the National Youth Theatre in 2009.

He said: “I feel comfortable on stage – I think it’s possibly an inadequacy in myself that I feel more comfortable playing someone else.”

Sebastian will continue his A-level studies at St Edward’s School. He added: “I have always cruised along in education but I want to prove to myself that I’m able to get really good grades and give a really good performance on television.

“I have prepared myself for the fact that things might change – I’m not particularly interested in the fame this might bring.

“I think things might change but I’m keen that they won’t change in my head, I will still be level-headed. I feel so very grateful and I feel excited. I just hope the fans like it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo/Image Disclaimer

All Photos used on Screenterrier are not necessarily owned by us. The site uses freely available photos from Internet search engines, most particularly google and yahoo.

We do not claim any ownership of these photos, all rights to these photos belong to their respective owners.

Photos are never used for making direct profit through distribution under our brand name or by selling to a third party, and are only used for viewing on the web.

If you see an image that belongs to you and want credit or want the image removed, please feel free to Contact Screenterrier.