Saturday, July 11, 2009

Framed


Look out for two new child actors starring alongside Trevor Eve and Torchwood's Eve Myles in new BBC One drama "Framed", adapted from Frank Cottrell Boyce's best-selling children's novel, which sees a secretive convoy of men invade a Welsh village.


Filming is a joy for young stars (from The Liverpool Post)

LIKE any children’s film, Framed’s success is crucially dependent on the credibility of its young leads.

By definition they will lack the experience and technique of their adult peers, but still must carry the film.

With extremely strict regulations about children’s working hours, filming revolves entirely around them.

“The children are terrific. I wasn’t involved in the casting process, but I know that, for Millions, we saw 400 boys for the lead part,” says Frank Cottrell Boyce.

Mari Ann Bull, 10, was watched by her proud father, Gareth, from Cardiff, as the cameras rolled.

“I like making Framed and Andy is very nice,” she says, as she hops about in the cold, like a red-headed elf.

“She’s really enjoying it. She never gets tired and never gets hungry,” beams Gareth.

Most recently Wales’s Face of Recycling 2007-8, she has acted since the age of five.

“We usually go to Disneyland each year, but we had a feeling she’d get this one, so we cancelled the holiday to audition.”

Sam Davies (represented by Regan Rimmer), 12, from Swansea, who plays Minnie’s brother, Dylan, is the son of actor Huw Davies.

An impressively self-possessed, but engaging young man, Sam auditioned after a casting scout visited his drama school.

“I had several auditions, but they also needed to see if I was a good match to the girl they chose to be my sister,” he says. “I first read the book of Framed on the train to London, after my dad gave it to me. He reads it to classes for his work.

“I didn’t think I’d like it at first, but I kept reading and reading. It’s helped me understand the character far better, as the descriptions are more detailed.”

He gets five weeks off school for the shooting schedule, and has to do 15 hours’ private tuition a week on set.

The children are tutored by ex-headmistress Eleri Hourahane, who enjoys the shoot as much as them.

“After 40 years in teaching, I never expected a second career, never mind one as exciting as this,” she says.

Sam says: “I want to be a director when I’m older. I love the creativity.”

He jokily adds: “And I want to be the person telling people what to do.

“I’ve learned so much on this film. Andy is amazing at explaining things to us.”

“Trevor Eve is also very good to me. We rehearse by going through the previous scene, so I understand what we’re doing.”


Framed will be shown in the Autumn on BBC1.


No comments:

Post a Comment